Nuvi 765 Sydney - Darwin Flight Path

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 22:25
ThreadID: 82399 Views:4328 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I had a good flight home from Sydney on Sunday, made sure I got a window seat as I had plans for the Nuvi GPS.
After getting to the cruising hieght I turned on the Nuvi 765 and in no time it logged on to the satellites and I was getting some fantastic results, speed, altitude, etc, I knew exactly when the Plane crossed the NSW - Qld border after passing right over the top of Bourke and then Currawinya National Park, I kept turning the gps on and off so as to preserve the battery , also made sure the FM transmitter was OFF too because no transmitters allowed on board. at one part of the flight I looked down and could see a red dirt road so I thought it must have been around NW NSW and noticed on the GPS to the West of the flight path was Hungerford -Thargominda Rd.
I have driven many of the roads out in Western Qld over the years and was good to get a different view of the country, It was amazing to see just how fast the icon on the screen was travelling over the screen with contours and rivers flashing by, I watched the K's on the screen and counted 5 seconds for 1 Klm. No the old Troopy will not match that.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
I meant to type in the Blue section....not Red

I seen down below a huge river system so turned on the GPS to find it was the Georgina River, what a view to see the results
of the rains a few months ago, where ever there was floods I could see a green tinge , then the path took us over the Qld - NT border , we passed between Mt Isa and Birdsville, Mt Isa was 360 Klms to the North East.
The next point I was waiting for was the Barkly Hwy, The path crossed it at 90 Klms East of Barkly Homestead and 108 Klms West of Avon Downs, I would think we passed a little to the East of Alroy Downs and crossed the Tablelands Highway a few K's North of the Station.
I was on the right side of the aircraft and looked down on a well formed dirt road, I would think that could have been the Barkly Stock route stretching away to the East as far as I could see. We then crossed the Stuart Hwy 5.4 Klms North of Larimah, then almost over the top of WW2 Gorrie Airstrip, I could not see it , I think it would have been almost under the plane and I would have needed to look straight down and damn window got in the way.
The last and final time I turned on the GPS was just after passing over The Eastern part of Katherine Gorge slightly West of
Nitmiluk Visitor Centre and then passing over the Edith River 26.6 Klms East of the Stuart Hwy bridge over the Edith River, then passengers were asked to turn off all electronic devices , at the time I turned off the gps was 26.7 Klms East of Fergusson River bridge on the Stuart Hwy, the decent into Darwin had begun. I was hoping to see Adelaide River but the path was well to the East
and passed just West of Windows over the Wetlands on the Arnhem Hwy.
After landing after the 4 hour 10 minutes flight It was a good to be back in the warmth of the Top End and was uncanny to think only that morning I was standing on the lookout taking photo's of the 3 Sisters in the Blue Mountains now so far away.
I spent the night with Noel K in Darwin and traveeled home next day with the Mt Bundy Station Owner. I had a great time with my Daughter and her partner , even drove his Falcon around Mt Panorama and did some cattle Ear Tagging for her as well, now I'm home and have over 600 photo's to sort through.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 22:47

Tuesday, Nov 09, 2010 at 22:47
Hi Doug,

Had you been on Qantas the Nuvi may have announced ..."Turn around when possible"!! LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 435512

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 18:34

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 18:34
Allan, Veeery good mate LOL, I have a feeling Doug was just keeping an eye on the Navigator up the front, mate LOL LOL.

I still can't get the vision of Mick Dundee out of my head as I read of Doug's big adventure to the Big Smoke :-))))))

I am sure we will get some good yarns in weeks to come, from the Big Adventure.

Glad ya home safe Doug, and had a good time with ya family.

Fred.
FollowupID: 706755

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 19:27

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 19:27
Fred, ....... "Mick Dundee" ..... know what ya mean mate! LOL

And it WAS a good read!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 706762

Reply By: 3GoBush - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:01

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:01
Hey Doug

You have to much time on your hands, give us a ring, perhaps we can have another Xmas.

Looking forward to your call.
AnswerID: 435523

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:19

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 01:19
Don't know who you are or your Ph Number.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 706704

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:10

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:10
I just bought a new Garmin to replace my old 310, what a disappointment!
It chooses absolutely ridiculous routes, wish I had bought a $60.00 eBay special.
Garmin help said a map update would fix it ..... it didn't.
AnswerID: 435604

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:29

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:29
Shaker
Sorry mate, but you must be one of those that buy, stick it in the car and expect the world, mate you got to set it up , fastest route is best or the unit will guide you through back streets and ally's, change the setting from normal to most/high or you won't see half the small roads.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 706776

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 23:14

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 23:14
Doug, please don't try & judge my competence by remote control.
I have had at least 6 or 7 GPS & am fully knowledgable with setting them up. I have used Mio, Tom Tom, Destinator 5, 6 & 7, Route 66 & IGO as well as Garmin.
This particular Garmin is the worst that I have ever had, I bought it to replace my wife's nuvi 310. On a straight road it tells me to turn left, then right, drive 5 kms then turn right & then left back onto the original road, clever!
I have also been using marine satellite navigation devices right back to Navstar 2000 satnavs.

FollowupID: 706786

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 23:18

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010 at 23:18
Shaker
No worries mate, I was only digging, but remember ......if it says turn right then you must obey, Ummm have you tried using the Male voice, women read maps upside down...lol.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 706787

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 09:33

Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 09:33
Hmmm .... now there's an idea!
FollowupID: 706817

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 13:25

Thursday, Nov 11, 2010 at 13:25
Only if they are Australian maps and Pommie wimmen, Doug!

Years back I had a NavMan and if I ignored an instruction the female voice said .... "You never listen to me!" LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 706834

Sponsored Links